Sunday 30 March 2014

Manga Review: Yoru Café. - My Sweet Knights

Name: Yoru Café. - My Sweet Knights
Author & Artist: ENJOUJI Maki
Chapters: 15
Genres:  Comedy, Harem, Josei, Romance, Smut
Plot:
At 23 years old, Hina Takato inherited a café and the workers in it from her deceased husband. Although he was much older than her, she loved him a great deal and has vowed to never fall in love again... only, she does.

Review:
A series I've finished reading the second time round recently was Yoru Café. I loved Enjouji's other manga Hapi Mari, despite it's flaws, but I honestly didn't love this one as much. Though it's always good to try something twice to make sure you don't like it.

I think the reason why it didn't resonate with me was because it was about a young widowed wife finding love after her old husband died.

I think the premise could've worked if the characters weren't so flat (there's seriously a lot of crazy plots in shoujo and josei). There wasn't too much character development and the side characters were kinda, just there. The mangaka alluded to the readers about the characters' pasts but didn't flesh them out enough for me to relate to them. Heck even the rival, who was sort of annoying and twisted, was much more interesting than the rest of the side characters and a story about him would've been far more interesting. I feel a story is pointless if an ensemble cast aren't strongly connected and solid. More or less, their relationships seemed quite shallow and their sudden close bonds seemed unnatural. They were simply there for the Harem aspect.

As for the smut, nothing to heavy, it just shows the act of it as part of the plot not centered around it.

Another complaint, not really major, is the character designs. They look like the mangaka's other earlier main series and it kinda shows a bit of un-creativity in her manga.

I guess the story has this sort of promise of a meaningful plot but it didn't deliver. A mediocre read at best though if you've had similar experiences to the protagonist, it's an ok manga to past the time with. I wouldn't re-read it to be honest.

0 comments:

Post a Comment