Monday 14 July 2014

Reading list for June/July

Sorry for lack of activity in the review department and otome gaming but I've mainly been busy and burnt out from life in general.
Anyway since I'm not sure what to review at the moment, I'll give a short list of relevant series that I've finished reading this past month along with a summary.

I'm excluding oneshots and other odd series because they're too boring to be mentioned or ongoing series that haven't really picked up yet. So in chronological order we have:

80s and 90s

Shiroi Mado no Mukougawa by HIKAWA Kyouko (1980)
Your typical childhood friends school life story that builds up to the confession scene and ends. It's quite charming though and has a bit of the late 70s manga art in terms of style without the galaxy eyes. Being a fan of Hikawa's works, it's nice to see her art evolving compared to Kanata Kara which is one of my favs.

Tokyo no Casanova by KURAMOCHI Fusako (1983)
It's a story of false incest where the main gal finds out her bro ain't her bro and she starts having feels for him basically. It's quite dated with hair styles and clothing but I like it for that. It has some idol/actor industry themes to it to if you like that kind of stuff.



Onnanoko wa Yoyuu! by HIKAWA Kyouko (1990)
Another Kyouko work which is similar setting to her earlier work on the list but less satisfying in terms of the ending and a more muted version of the big shoujo confession scene. You could read either one and get the same story but Shiroi Mado no Mukougawa has more drama if you're looking for that.

Sora wa Akai Kawa no Hotori (Red River) by SHINOHARA Chie (1995)
I've avoided this because of the tragedy tag but caved in eventually and I'm liking it so far. Those high school history lessons came in handy since the whole Egyptian/Hittite setting is something I remember falling asleep over. Fairly dialogue heavy since it's explaining everything. The female lead has a backbone in this and doesn't let people walk all over her. It's a nice change from all those school life mangas, still reading it though.

Tokyo Crazy Paradise by YOSHIKI Nakamura (1996)
Dropped this awhile ago because of the sheer length but picked it up again recently since I did enjoy the premise but it is seriously draggy. Enjoying it so far but don't know how long I'll hold out for.

Ingènuo by Ryan (1998)
A manhua (Chinese language comic) which was slightly odd considering it had some Japanese honorifics in it. Has age gap/show biz themes. Only problem I'm having getting through it is the length and the the deviation from the original plot they pitched which is about a girl wanting to become the best photographer. Oh yes and there's a love triangle in this.

00s

Oyayubi kara Romance by TSUBAKI Izumi (2004)
Interesting premise about a girl obsessed with massaging which leads to her being obsessed with this random dude's back since it's all "tense" etc. Cute, fun school life read which offers something pretty different.

Yeah, she's talking about her bewbs
Moe Kare by IKEYAMADA Go (2004)
A re-reading since I got bored. Typical shoujo shit but enjoyable for it's comedy and angsty drama with a love triangle. School life genre by the way with Judo elements if I remember correctly.

Shinobi Life by KONAMI Shouko (2006)
Put it on hold a couple of years ago and finished reading it a couple of weeks ago. Quite a good time travel, historical manga. This was the catalyst for my historical manga binge reading spree that consisted of the Edo and Sengoku periods of Japan. Also features a love triangle albeit biased.

Sugar Family by HAGIO Akira (2006)
Another re-reading as it's quite an enjoyable, fun school life, step bro-sis (though not technically)/teacher-student relationship. The ending is unsatisfying to say the least.

Kyou, Koi o Hajimemasu by MINAMI Kanan (2008)
I can't believe I read through 99 chapters of teen wangst (whinging/angst) with an idiotic female lead who sits and cries at all her problems despite being supposedly book smart. Somehow during her development as a young child she didn't get any common sense. I guess I should save my backhanded comments for a review so I shall leave you with a manga cap.
Probably sexual harassment
but bewbs.

Koi, Hirari by MITSUKI Miko (2008)
Typical shoujo angst with your usual "We belong in different worlds" bs. Melodrama with star-crossed lovers, Romeo and Juliet wangst doesn't work in school life dramas. It has some Kabuki elements, being it's only redeeming quality for an otherwise forgettable manga. Oh and the main gal doesn't know what a condom is LOL.
"I guess I'll never know what I missed on that first day of health class".
Practice safe sex kids.

"Ok, now everybody take some rubbers."

Anata ni Hana o Sasagemashou by OHMI Tomu (2009)
Another manga I put on hold and finished reading recently. Supernatural, arranged marriage story which was a compelling to read. Should go check it out. I noticed this mangaka really likes supernatural settings like her other work based on vampires called Midnight Secretary.

Sengoku Danshi Hana no Ran by SUMOMO Momo (2009)
Binge reading Japanese historical works took me to this manga. I have yet to read anything Sengoku period related without having an obligatory Nobunaga character in it (wiki that shit). It's a pretty strange take since it has characters time traveling to our time and then having it cross over with show biz and acting. Plus some hidden yandere to get your blood pumping, whoops spoiler (sorry not sorry). Anyways, recommend it since the author manages to balance the random mix of themes with likable characters and an interesting storyline. Plus hot bishies guys, hot bishies.

10s

Nise no Chigiri by SAKURAI Shushushu (2010)
Awww shinobis blush too
^///^
Based on an historical otome game, this has hot shinobi bishies, an okay storyline (a bit disjointed), your token tsundere, more hot bishies and lastly, hot bishies. That is all you need to know.

Yukarism by SHIOMI Chika (2010)
Currently reading this. It's about some dude who remembers his past life and writes books about it during the Edo period and subsequently meets descendants during the current timeline. Pretty interesting as it's set in the red light district which is sure to be good.

Yoshiwara Hana Oboro by OTONAKA Sawaki (2011)
Set in the Edo Period, high school chick ends up traveling back in time and meets this hot dude, she stays with him etc. Also set in the red light district featuring geishas and I'm enjoying it so far.

Hatsu Hana by FUJISAWA Suzuki (2014)
Only has two translated chapters at the moment but it's so cute so I had to include it. Arrogant-ish guy realises he likes this chick who happens to like someone else etc. Let that love polygon ensue.

6 comments:

  1. Hey! I'd just like to thank you for all of your opinions and recommendations on shoujo manga. After watching enough anime, I wanted to read some manga for a first and OMGGGGGG is there a lot of manga out there. After much reading, i figured out that I really liked shoujo :3 ...Then I found your blog!


    Let me say that your reviews and posts allowed me to read a lot of fantastic stuff I don't think I would have found on my own. So thanks so much!! Im thinking of checking out Nise no Chigiri since 1. I am also a fan of otome games AND 2. Who doesn't like hot bishies! I know you must be really busy, but I hope that you can continue to post on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's like a huge compliment for me since I write posts mainly on a whim with questionable quality. And I remember first getting into manga and not knowing where to really start except for all the mainstream titles.

    I'm basically the opposite of you. I've read shoujo for awhile but still relatively new to anime XD
    Thanks for reading ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you completely read Yukarism? Or is it already completed? I have been looking forits raws online to no avail... i relly like the story and the characters ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's on my "on hold" list because I hate waiting for chapters and I left it in a non cliff hanger place. You can check out mangalator or raff manga, perhaps they have it along with translations. I don't mind spoilers but I don't normally read raws. Thanks for reading ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your blog!! superb! :D where are you from? can you understand Japanese?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. I don't know any Japanese unfortunately but I plan on learning it someday. I'm from Australia which makes the whole shoujo magna scene pretty desolate.

    ReplyDelete