Sunday 16 February 2014

Manhwa Review: Antique Romance


Name: Antique Romance
Author & Artist: KIM Mi Jung
Chapters: 27 - finished
Genres: Drama, Historical, Mature, Romance, Shoujo
Plot:
From Esthétique: "I am a human, but a doll... Feelings are not needed. Physically alive, but not mentally. I am a painting trapped inside a rusted frame. The cold skin of a statue. Like a stuffed bird-- Killed and set for display. I wonder... I wonder, on whose display I will be placed..." Includes extra story, The Dancing Marionette (Vol 3).
Review:
It seems like most of the manhwas that I end up and enjoy reading are the ones set in with darker mature themes which are inevitably coupled with tragic elements.
This has all the drama in a European ambient setting.

Some warnings before picking this up would include themes of prostitution and rape which are basically red flags that indicate that this ain't some fluffy shoujo.

There's also a certain scene that is horribly cryptic. It's not horror in a supernatural sense but the monstrosity of what humans can do to each other. It parallels closely with reality despite cliches and plot devices.

The characters are quite good. The author plays on with the innocence of the main lead and humanizes prostitutes. Arguably, there's an age gap considering the historical setting, it's not abnormal in the least.

Though really, it's not as scary as it sounds and it's intriguing to read. It was a tiny bit draggy at some parts in romance and story progression but overall it was solid.  Think Kanon Wakeshima, that's the type of atmosphere this has.

Honestly, it took me a second read to let elements fully sink in since I was thoroughly creeped out by the end. So in hindsight, it a story that leaves a deep, uncomfortable impact on you. It's not for everyone but expanding your mind to something different isn't a bad idea once in a while. Sorry it seems brief but I can't say much without spoiling everything.

By the way, if you have any recommendations, leave a comment below and remember to thumb up the post so I can see what type of posts I should keep posting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment