Saturday 23 February 2013

Shoujo Manga Cliches: Annoying Female Characters

So with my recent comeback to my blog, I'm going to start writing about shoujo manga cliches. If you read shoujo manga as frequently as I do. You will know what I'm talking about.

  1. The Crybaby/ mentally weak female lead - one of the most god damn annoying cliches in the whole shoujo manga world. If an author is too lazy to think up something original, they'll whip out this 1 dimensional character. Girls like this frequently exist for the guy they love; they have no depth at all. They don't have any deep relationships with friends or even family members, their sad little lives revolve around their high school crush or loved one.
  2. Clumsy girls/ makes every situation in other peoples' lives worse - Nothing wrong with girls who are a bit of a klutz because those kinds of people do exist in real life... But 90% of the time, they are just plain stupid and don't think through their nonsensical actions. They guy always has to come and fix things for them despite their supposed efforts in "helping".
  3. Dumb, stupid, mentally deficient girls - Ditzy girls do exist but not to the extent of how shoujo mangas degrade the female populace. They are extremely dumb and are in need to go to a special school, their intelligence is so out of wack that you can only laugh at how hot guys find simple minded girls attractive. Or all the guys since she has probably acquired a harem...
    Miaka Yuuki. Her best friend
    wanted to stab the bitch and so did I.

    Eg. Miaka Yuuki from Fushigi Yuugi is the best example of all three all wrapped into one horrible, disgusting package. Not only does Watase Yuu outdo many other artists in pissing me off, but even Miaka's best friend gets angry and becomes her rival. Seriously if some ditzy, crybaby girl got all the hot guys I would be angry too...

    Another example is Kotoko Aihara from Itazura na Kiss although I didn't hate her so much probably because it was one of those stories that I felt were done well.

  4. Physically Strong Girls - They usually are less annoying then most of the shoujo archetypes, nonetheless they can still piss you off if the author is skillful enough. They lack any real intelligence although they aren't usually as dumb. What I hate the most in these types of character is when they starting slipping into the crybaby/mentally weak territory and loose their ability to fight and again, need to be saved by the main guy/s.
  5. Mary Sues - I have nothing against them but then again I honestly if you're supposedly pretty, smart, athletic, talented, nice, rich and loved by all why the hell would you waste time chasing after a guy? Unlike us average people, we have to search high and low for good quality men.
Well this was more like a rant then anything. Enjoy the next installment of Shoujo Manga Cliches, whenever that is...

7 comments:

  1. Great! An incredible blog about mangas shojo is this http://elmejormangashojo.blogspot.com.ar , it´s wondeful

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL
    SO ITS NOT JUST ME FINDING SOME MANGAS STUPID JUST CAUSE OF THE MAIN CHARACTER :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really found Miaka annoying. I actually hated how her friend betrayed her just because she overheard something and didn't even bother to ask clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admittedly couldn't fin the will to get through it tbh so maybe I'm missing something? :L

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I agree with all these. Have you tried Itou no Banchousama? I rather liked that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laurel BalancebladeMonday, June 16, 2014

    I am 100% for this, The cliche is making me give up on shoujo

    ReplyDelete
  7. loved fushigi yuugi. HATED MIAKA WITH A PASSION. it's not even because all the guys loved her. it's because she was so freaking dumb and helpless all the time. yeah she was kind, honest, persistent, and showed strength especially towards the end but omgg the miaka/tamahome screams were too much! like i couldn't even wrap my mind on how dumb she was. i actually ended up liking yui so much more. (YEAH YUIXSUBOSHI) if miaka showed a little bit more sense and independence but just a tad bit of vulnerability, i would've totally been RAH RAH MIAKA. sadly, it wasn't until the OVAs that i actually grew to like Miaka since you could actually notice that she matured considerably.

    ReplyDelete