Monday 23 September 2013

Manga Review: Koi Shitagari no Blue

Name: Koi Shitagari no Blue 
Author & Artist: FUJIWARA Yoshiko
Chapters: 24 - completed
Genres: Comedy, Drama, Romance, School Life, Shoujo, Slice of Life
Plot:
From Aerandria Scans:
“Won’t you become my girlfriend?”
On the day of her high school entrance ceremony, Ao got asked that by Riku, a guy that she has only just met. But by that, he meant to ask her to become his fake girlfriend, just to pretend. Ao was surprised by the sudden request, but after knowing Riku’s true feeling, she decided to agree to become his fake girlfriend...?

Review:
My initial impression of this was nice art and the whole story progressed very smoothly. All in all, I really liked it. Though as the plot unfolded, I really started to hate it.

The heroine, Ao, is likable and noble and I feel like the reason why the whole premise went downhill pretty fast was the other supporting characters.
Her main love interest is a classic example of that really cute guy who's childish/immature tendencies inadvertently hurt everyone else.

The other characters feel so bland and hollow. They're one-dimensional and all their interlacing relationships seems so forced to me (spoiler it's a love polygon). Even the bishies couldn't save this manga, they're all stupid to be honest.
I won't go into too much since I don't want to spoil everything. If you want to have a nice rant session about this, comment below.

I've read some reviews highly praising it but in all honesty, it's a huge disappointment in terms of depth and ultimately fails at mimicking peoples' relationships.The mangaka attempted to make this more realistic then shoujo-manga-universe-y. The good reviews are really overlooking the shallowness and the innate idiocy of some of the characters but I'm not surprised, all we need to kawaii and doki-doki moments right?

Sorry if I sound a bit cynical but I'm just trying to be honest.

0 comments:

Post a Comment