Friday 16 May 2014

Manga Review: Ojou-sama no Untenshu

Name: Ojou-sama no Untenshu
Author & Artist: SHIHARA Keiko
Chapters: 9 - completed
Genres: Drama, Historical, Romance, Shoujo
Plot:
From Omari's Sister: "It is the Taisho Era at a certain girl's school. There one young lady embodies the ambition and is the envy of every girl. The crimson ribbon adorning her marks her as the top student. She is none other than Yoshimura Sayaka. Always at her side is the chauffeur her family employs, Narutaki Shinobu. Are the two in love as rumored amongst the female student body!?" Note: Untranslated one-shot from the first volume—"Ruka to Touzoku (Ruka and the Thief)"
Review:
It's been awhile since my last manga review. I'll try to do more when I can since I hate those sites that post things that are irrelevant and don't stick to their core goals (hope you don't mind my Otome Plays.). I have less and less time, thanks to university and coupled with procrastination (yup even with things I enjoy doing), I've been reading less but expecting more.

This manga, for example, has beautiful artwork, a nice, basic storyline sprinkled with just the right amount of angst which doesn't get old too fast.
The characters are sweet, normal people who just want to be together.



Thought that's essentially it.  It's a basic, cute shoujo story.
Nothing inherently wrong with it, I enjoy fluffy, cheesy stories or the odd and absurd comedic stylings of shoujo manga but I honestly wasn't feeling it this time. Maybe it was because I needed something mind blowing because I'm so busy as opposed to a long summer break, with nothing to do.

The characters didn't overcome huge obstacles, I mean there were obstacles but they weren't hard to traverse. They also lacked any real character development. More or less, it was them realising their overflowing feelings for each other etc.
Again nothing wrong with that, if you don't mind that type of story but it wasn't enough.

So in summary, basic, average, a little cute but that's about it. If you got time, got for it, if not, you can skip this or save it for another time.

3 comments:

  1. Nice review, I was looking for a new historical/Romance manga :)
    And PLEASE don't stop your Otome Plays, I want to find out what happens to Lance but I can hardly afford food that's not ramen so it'll be a while til I can get Nameless lol #collegelife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, totally get the game when you can, it's awesome. I understand, I hardly eat out or even have a social life so I have saved it for mangas and otomes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I've never heard of this manga, and I might give it a shot because it's so short.

    ReplyDelete