Tuesday 29 April 2014

4 Mangas for Shoujo Newbs

Akagami no Shirayuki-Hime,
first volume
Do you have a friend who's new to shoujo manga or has shunned the genre because of some really bad titles? Then I will be showing you an extremely short list as a starter point for you guys.  I mean if I gave you my current reading list (about more than 100 mangas) you would be overwhelmed.

I really wished someone had given me a good starting manga. Not that classics such as Hana Kimi  or Fruits Basket are bad but there are some crazy premises that would deter the average person away.



The first manga I seriously got into was actually Shugo Chara which had everything from mahou shoujo, a hint of incest (it really wasn't that bad), cross dressing (this confused the hell outa me), age gaps (13 and 17 year old) etc. Basically if someone sat me down and told me to read the above, I'd probably think they're crazy and not even consider reading any shoujo. Good thing I was somehow oddly accepting and never turned my back on shoujo. I do think that Shugo Chara was quite misleading since it looked tween friendly when it sort of wasn't.

So this list has nothing too wacky or that typical preposterous cross dressing situations or even cousin relationships that would probably weird some people out. They are relatively normal stories that I have mentioned in my blog before so sorry if this is going to sound too redundant. They are also quite age appropriate for tweens though some do address quite serious issues.


  1. Orange by Takano Ichigo - Yes I am aware I mentioned this in My 5 Top Mangas list but it's probably the most interesting manga out there without being too quirky for an ordinary person's taste. I actually recommended it to a non-shoujo manga friend who gave it a go and enjoyed it. Although she couldn't get into the idea of reading comics seriously. Anyway, it's your basic school life manga with a time traveling twist and some good morals for you to think about and some sappy bromance, love and friendships moments, stuff you'll definitely love. I got cavities because of how sweet and heart wrenching it is.

  2. Ao haru ride by Sakisaka Io - There's something about Sakisaka Io's works that are really relatable and honestly resonates with me as a person. Her characters are flawed and realistic and her stories don't have that signature-stupid-shoujo-esque-vibe. Instead, she has good stories involving high school crushes that are executed quite well and Ao Haru Ride is no exception. It has the crush drama without the main character being totally crippled and debilitated by it. The character development shows a lot in this work. I did a brief review on it so check it out to find out more. Her other oneshot, Sono Omokage o Shitteru, was something I enjoyed finishing reading recently if you don't wanna dump a full series on yourself/friend.

  3. Last Game by Amano Shinobu - Another manga I listed in my My 5 Top Mangas list but it's essentially what Special A or Kaichou wa Maid-sama could have been if the mangakas had any real direction in their works and didn't milk the premise dry. Yes, it has a dense female lead and that conventional hot, rich, smart guy but the characters are likable and the story doesn't put them in idiotic scenarios. It's definitely a manga you or a friend would come to enjoy reading because it doesn't take itself too seriously. I think this series is pretty readable for guys even.

  4. Akagami no Shirayuki-hime by Akizuki Sorata - It's a nice whimsical feel with amazing art and a level-headed female lead who is capable of looking after herself. Put her up against a good looking, non-douchey prince and you've got quite a premise. The romance is quite puppy love-ish (and I mean that in the best way possible) and an actual story line that will make you stick around. Basically, it's about a girl who runs away from a forced marriage (due to her rare red hair) and encounters a man who turns out to be a prince. It's better then it sounds, trust me.

    On another note, I like to think of Toma Rei's Reimei no Arcana as the edgier version of this manga. The parallels are mainly with the red headed, tenacious female leads. This one is a whole lot darker and gritty so if you're not in the mood for light hearted, slice of life type genres, Reimei no Arcana is a fantastic alternative. 
Those are just 4 starting shoujo manga I'd recommend to any of my friends new to shoujo. How about you? Any successful or not so successful introductions to shoujo or manga in general?


4 comments:

  1. Sailor Moon was my introduction :3
    It was pretty successful, Tuxedo Mask is still one of my favorite guys <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was little, I really loved Sailor Moon and I planned to read the manga but it's really long. I hardly have time sadly:/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Out of those I've only read Orange (absolutely love it and would recommend it to most people), Akagami no Shirayukihime and Reimei no Arcana. I can't really say the last two (or at least akagami) would be the first mangas I'd think of if I were to recommend shoujo to a newb, but that's just a matter of taste (and the person I'd be introducing to manga as well). As for the others, I really can't say 'cause I haven't read them


    Hmm, just wondering, if you were to recommend a shoujo manga to a guy, which one would you choose? (Personally, i think even a guy would like NG life)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you're right, it's a matter of taste. I was taking people like my friends into consideration and obviously people who already have an interest in manga. Kimi Ni Todoke or Koko Ni Iru Yo would be good picks for a beginner but I personally find them bland. I would've loved to include Mars by Fuyumi Soryo but it's a bit heavy, being psychological and all. Mainstream mangas are great starting points but they're not my favs and there are thousands of lists on them so I avoided sounding too redundant. Shoujo in my opinion is way to niche so guys (especially non-anime/manga fans) won't find stories that resonate with them. I haven't read a lot of Yuki Kaori but I think her stories would suite male tastes like Ludwig Revolution. Otomen and Ore Monogatari are kind of male perspective, twists on the genre so they may enjoy the comedic storylines with that signature shoujo humour. Again, Mars might be good if the guy likes psychological stuff.

    ReplyDelete