Saturday 25 January 2014

Cheese in the Trap is getting a k-drama? + Official English Translations



On random note, CITT has finally got official English translations though they are still only up to chapter 5 right now. Now on to the big news. According to the webtoon live, it seems that CITT is getting picked up to be a Korean drama.

Before I make a really judgmental, biased opinion on this I have to say that I personally found Boys Over Flowers, the Korean adaptation of Hana Yori Dango, to be atrocious and over the top. Hana Yori Dango was definitely no master piece but I felt like they really butchered the premise. I have the same sentiment with To The Beautiful You (Hana Kimi) but on a lesser degree.

The great points about this webcomic was that it wasn't molded or sculpted by the hands of an editor of a magazine who perpetually force feeds the mass audience with cliches and stereotypes. It was written by an artist by the pen name, Soonkki, who had her own ideas of what a story should be and isn't over ridden with puppy love of melodrama.  This is something I touched on in an earlier post before.
 It's set in college instead of high school, it deals with money/family problems and touches more on the psychological pressures, love, friendship and confronting your demons.
If it was in a magazine, it'd be set in a high school and the focus would be on romance.
In any book/comic to movie adaption, I expect there to be changes. They should expand and change what they see from the source material to fit the k-drama experience. I'm afraid, however, that in the hands of your typical K-drama director, he will change everything I loved about the series. So here's a list of demands that I have:
  • Please get Soonkki to revise your script or have a look at it or something (she needs a seal of approval sticker of something).
  • Cast experienced, good actors. No idol actors or bad rookie actors that only have a pretty face.
  • Make sure the actors look their age.
  • Make the actors look somewhat like their characters at least in hairstyle (not colour necessarily). 
  • Keep the setting in college.
  • Get Song Joong Ki to portray Yoo Jung (sssshhhh I know he just got in the military but let a fan girl dream)
  • And last but not least, DON'T FUCK IT UP
So yeah basically I'm skeptical at how this will go and I don't want to put my hopes up to high in order for it to be later dashed by peoples' greed for money.
If you guys know Korean actors suggest some since I know practically none.
And next manga review will be out in 2 days :)

14 comments:

  1. I'm actually kinda excited about the dramatization of Cheese in the Trap and am a bit surprised about how wary people are about it. I'm hoping the drama would be awesome, but really ... even if it they change some aspects, even if it doesn't turn out the way I wish it would, I still feel like we're very lucky that webtoon was picked at all. It means we're getting more Cheese even when Soonki finishes Season 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'll try to keep my expectations up but I'm so very afraid of them racking everything that was so good about CITT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meribeth CarlosTuesday, May 13, 2014

    So I read manga, watch anime and Korean drama and I only read CITT because I read a review that my favorite actor was going to appear on this adaptation and now am excited to see. I do agree that they didn't do a good job with BOF or TTBY because I got bore of it and didn't finished, but there is some good k-dramas so I hope the director doesn't fuck up with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait where is this news about casting of actors? Mind linking it to me, I would love to know :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Lee Min Ho would be nice as Jung. When he portrayed Lee Yoon Sung in City Hunter I thought he would be perfect as either Jung from CITT or Tsuruga Ren from Skip Beat! He just nails that "Perfect Gentleman" fake smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha still scarred from his BOF days even though he was probably the best actor in that drama. I heard he was great in CH but I haven't watched it myself. Have you seen Song Joong Ki in Innocent Man as Kang Maru and that last movie he was in, A Werewolf Boy? Haven't seen the latter but in IM he had a really great intensity as an actor while his initial character was kind and naïve. I just think he has great diversity in his acting plus he's more of the pretty boy I imagined Yoo Jung to be. They're both good though, each to their own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meribeth CarlosThursday, May 22, 2014

    This is the link, but they only talk about Kim Woo Bin http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/20534/20140427/kim-woo-bin-casted-film-drama-based-comic-book.htm

    ReplyDelete
  8. for hong sul, I think Lee Yeon Hee might look like sul...like her hair. Sul is said to be quite pretty but a bookworm. Lee yeon hee looks like she'd look fine as sul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my god I totally agree with you...I'm legit so scared about them butchering Cheese in the Trap. It's my favorite manwha and the way they ruined Goong, Hana Kimi, and Hana Yori Dango just leaves me more terrified TT

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm actually more worried about the casting for Sul than yoo-jung because she should be really down-to-earth and practical...she's such an awesome heroine!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would actually prefer if they cast new people, someone who is talented in acting but not yet known to the public. An underrated actor/actress. I want to see new faces! Other than that I'm really anticipating this adaptation! But like what the others are thinking, a little skeptical. Hopefully they don't change the plot too much or I'll cry. TTATT

    ReplyDelete
  12. As long as they can act and the director and scriptwriters don't screw stuff up too much I'll be happy. I really don't want idol actors unless they are decent actors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Am I the only one who would love to see Lee Jong Suk play Yoo Jung? He is cute and charming, could play a college character well but would definitely be good at showing enough of a "bad guy" side to keep you on your toes. He would make an awesome bad guy. If he gets cast I can see myself rewatching it for the rest of my life. XD

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello there, just dropping by to ask: "Is there any realization to this news?" XDD
    I really love manga, bishies, and CITT!

    ReplyDelete