Friday 24 January 2014

Manga through the eras + Sorry I've been MIA


Hello readers, I haven't been posting since I've been on two 1 week long trips (sorry I didn't cue anything) and I've been playing otome games like a mofo.
I also fell into a personal slump so I didn't want to force out crappy posts for no good reason. This blog is more of a hobby than anything.

I still have been reading manga so I'll short list some of the new manga series I've picked up below.

  1. 1985 - Cipher by NARITA Minako
  2. 1987 - Boku no Chikyuu o Mamotte (Please Save My Earth) by HIWATARI Saki
  3. 1990 - Viehmannin wa Utau by YAMAGUCHI Miyuki
  4. Hadashi no Aitsuby TAKADA Rie
  5. 1999 - My Sweet Dragon by SAKAKI Yuuka
  6. 2005 - Tenkuu Seiryuu by YAMAGUCHI Miyuki
  7. 2007 - Ten no Ryuu Chi no Sakura by SUMOMO MOMO
  8. 2010 - Scarlet Palace by YI Huan
  9. 2010 - Mairunovich by SATO Zakuri
I felt like it was appropriate to put them in chronological order since the 80s manga were definitely interesting but really draggy at times though after reading a review of Cipher, it all made sense. It was written for 80s teens (and Japanese teens at that) where time traveled slower and people actually went outside to have fun. I really enjoyed 80s manga like Miriam (1983) by Hikawa Kyoko if you're into investigative cowboy adventures.


The 90s manga were faster paced than the 80s manga but still a tad slow for me despite wielding some interesting storylines. It was a lot more digestable for mahou shoujo storylines like Viehmanin wa Utau (fairies everywhere) and My Sweet Dragon (well there's dragons in it).

Then we get into my generation of manga, the noughties and I have to say, we are certainly a product of our generation no matter how you look at it. Coupled with the saturation of manga, there has been a decline of quality and a shift in focus towards meeting the immediate demands of crazed, bishie loving fangirls. Tenkuu Seiryuu was certainly a stand out for me so I shall be reviewing that.

I may or may not review any, if all of these. If you have any suggestions, comment below ^^.

0 comments:

Post a Comment