Wednesday 23 February 2011

Manga Review: Kieli



Name: Kieli
Author: Kabei Yukako
Artist: Teshirogi Shiori
Status: Completed
Chapters: 7
Genres:  Adventure, Fantasy, Romance, Sci-fi, Shoujo, Supernatural
Plot:
Kieli sees ghosts. It’s an odd ability for a 14-year-old girl, and it makes her a bit of an outcast at her boarding school. Her only friend, in fact, is the (semi-) departed spirit of a girl who used to inhabit her room. That is until the two encounter a young man who appears to share Kieli’s “gift.” It doesn’t take long to discover, though, Harvey is an altogether different sort of creature — one of the infamous Undying, the reanimated corpse of a dead soldier. Could it be that in this cursed fellow Kieli has finally found a kindred spirit? Throwing in her lot with this strange, soulless man and his possessed radio, she means to find out…
Review:
This manga has really unique art and has an unconventional storyline. For some weird reason, I get this shounen-y feel to it; I don't know why. I like how the characters have some sort of past; like a backing to why they act the way they do. I also feel that the love isn't really forced much but I find it somewhat tragic seeing as he is immortal and Kieli is going to die one day... She actually has a spine and she seems strong willed. At least this girl actually tries to do something even though she's only a 14 year old.
Harvey comes across as an indifferent immortal who has lost faith in humanity until he meets Kieli. He soon realises that he does care for people and with Kieli, he helps save them.
I definitely recommend this manga because it's different from the average stuff you come across. I think it somehow made me emotional (and I don't get emotional often) but I wouldn't say I cried >.>

0 comments:

Post a Comment