Sunday 27 July 2014

Ao Haru Ride getting a Japanese film adaptation

Kou looks pretty hot, I'll know
I'll need a bucket to catch my drool
As all of you may know, Ao Haru Ride has already got an anime (withholding comments until at least the 5th episode) and now it's getting a live action adaptation to go with it.

I hope people understand that what makes a good adaptation of any manga into a live action film or drama is that they consider their purpose of the film and try and re-image it to a more realistic interpretation. Copying the manga exactly and turning it into a movie makes it dull. If I want something exactly the same, I can just go read the manga or watch the anime.


Any of you who have read Koukou Debut and seen the movie must have known that was a total cringe fest. The only merit it had was that it was light, funny, entertaining and didn't take itself too seriously. It knew exactly what it was and didn't try to be anything more than that, a shoujo rabyu high school story.

Ao Haru Ride could, in the worse case scenario, take itself too seriously and all the misunderstanding/teen angst driven plot can turn itself into utter drivel.

I do think Sakisaki Io tells a story really well through her symbolism and pacing so I hope they somehow retain that in the movie. It's what sets asides her work from the typical shoujo since her story, themes and characters aren't anything new or original. Her likeable, realistic characters also keep the premise afloat so I hope they avoid being too boring or annoying. I mean this especially with Mabuchi Kou, who well intention-ed, is severely misguided and his self-inflicted angst can be somewhat grating for me as a reader.

So to summarise, here are a list of fangurl demands I have:
  • Make sure it has a balance between the seriousness and comedy, retaining a light-hearted tone (like Spring)
  • Include the same amount of symbolism utilised by Sakisaka
  • Make sure Kou is hot and less annoying or at least hot enough that I can ignore his annoying-ness. This can be represented in a simple math equation (hot > annoying)
  • Make sure Futaba has some sass
  • Make sure Futaba and Kou have good chemistry. If they don't, their supposed connection is going to look fake and their romance will be nothing more than some high school crush that is over-dramatised
  • Make sure Tanaka sensei has dem moles (I NEED THIS).
  • Make sure that token-bitch-san (yeah forgot her name since I hate her but you know who I'm talking about) gets minimal screen time, MINIMAL
  • Make sure Touma is a cutie-patootie ft. dem blush moments
  • Other supporting characters are moderately developed
By the way, remember to read by short, overview of the series I wrote.
Time to leave my favourite cap of the series (yes I know I used it already). What are your thoughts on the upcoming film?

Dat sass though

0 comments:

Post a Comment