Wednesday 12 November 2014

Where is the Shoujo community?

Nanahoshi Kiyoharu from
True Love, Sweet Lies.
What's this got to do with the post?
Nothing, just stare at the bishie,
It will cheer you up.
Shall get to a review soon since I recently finished reading a few mangas like Ueda Rinko's Tsuki no Shippo and Toma Rei's Reimei no Arcana. It's been a long time coming but I was more or less hesitant to pick up something that reminded me of Fushugi Yugi (which I shat on in another post eons ago).

Anyways, one of the things that I've come to consciously realise today is that the shoujo and josei demographic don't have much of a community. I mean sure there are forums but nothing mainstream enough unless it's a specific series. With the market being dominated by predominately shounen and seinen titles and anime following suite, it's no wonder such a niche genre is often overlooked in mainstream discussion.

I mean personally, I'm a closet otaku. A few of my friends know I like manga and anime but none of them know to what extent. To give you the lowdown, I read manga almost every other day, sometimes re-reading series. I've read about 374 different titles and currently reading 205 others and that's mostly shoujo or josei. It doesn't sound like much but considering I started to seriously read manga in 2009 and stopped reading it for a year in 2011, I've pretty much felt this love affair go above and beyond.

I'm still branching out into shounen and seinen, still only watched a handful of anime, getting into otome games, drama cds and light novels, the list can go on and on.

So to get back on topic, I have absolutely no-one to talk to about this which is quite frustrating. I have tried to get a few friends into manga and anime but it really isn't for everyone. It's essentially the whole reason I started this blog, to voice my opinions on various manga but it still feels very much like a one sided conversation.

I wanted to ask anyone who managed to read this, are they interested in building some kind of community or small group? I was considering going beyond your average forum and having some real time discussion of new anime, manga or otome games or just general discussion on popular series or lesser known series.

I've made a fb page regarding everything I've talked about so if you're interested head on over there. If this never gets off the ground I may just give up and stare at bishies to cheer my lonely fangirl feels up.
So click on Okita Souji from Hakuouki and have a look at this google form below.






0 comments:

Post a Comment