Thursday 9 May 2013

Manhwa Review: He's Dedicated to Roses

Name: He's Dedicated to Roses

Author & Artist: Hwang Mi Ri
Status: Finished 
Chapters: 42
Genres: Action, Comedy, Gender Bender, Romance, School Life, Shoujo
Plot:
"If you were a girl, we would never have met."
"Well- to...to be honest with you- I AM a girl-"
Plain as a girl, but HOT as a guy.
Choi Ida wants no more then to relieve her stress and anger when she is off work as her alternate male identity Choi Yodah. Her job? A slave to the popular rich girl, Mimi, at both school and home.
One day in the park, free from Mimi, she meets Kang Naru, who kisses her as Ida, not as Yodah).
Then, one day, Kang Naru meets and falls in love with Ida's alter ego, even though he thought 'he' was a boy!
But can Ida keep up both of her lives without getting caught?

Review:
So I happened to stumble upon Hwang Mi Ri's name in some forum and I had to make a review on one of the manhwas I read from her. She is the sole reason why I've been put of manhwas for awhile. She has a huge repertoire of manhwas and she gets so much hype but it really is crap and this is not exception. It's full of classic shoujo cliches or korean drama plot elements and it really makes me cringe. I can see how it appeals to the masses but honestly if you read Asian graphic novels as avidly as I do, you'll find it repetitive and bland.



The main girl is just annoying, the "I'm a nerdy doormat by day" but by night I'm "A crossdresser who beats the crap outa everybody and I somehow look more attractive as a guy". Adding the main guy is so dumb. I just don't want to elaborate any further. Annnd Spoiler alert, he comes into her classroom wearing a white suit to bring flowers to her, too much cheesiness for me to take.
I think I should read her better or latest works but to be on the safe side, stay away from all manhwas pertaining Hwang Mi Ri's name.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. I love HMR. But I have to agree with you. Probably half of her work has its annoying cliches. And the other half is as interesting too. Especially those with historical stuff and the time travelling. There's this one work of her that I somehow like the other guy to end up with the lead but they didn't because it's too obvious that she get to be with the guy who doesn't like her at first. And then this one too (another HMR's), as I was reading it I was so sure that she got to end up with the guy but at the end they didn't. The feeling when you anticipate something because you're so sure whose going to end up with who but gone wrong. That's when I thought that no matter how cliche it is or how unfair it is if it's real, everyone wants a close to reality ending. Happy or Sad ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You either blindly love her work, hate it or a somehow addicted to it. I know I was. I knew it was probably going to be a clichéd mess but I read it anyway.

    ReplyDelete