Wednesday 10 July 2013

Manga Review: Diamond Life


Name: Diamond Life
Author & Artist: FUJIWARA Akira
Chapters: 14
Genres: Drama, Josei, Romance, Slice of Life, Tragedy

Plot: Kanae dropped out of high school, because her father is a gambler while her mother ran away with her boyfriend. Kanae is twenty-two years old, and very poor working for a cleaning shop. She comes to have something to do with Haruki Oda quite by chance. Haruki is an IT millionaire and called "money-mad man," or "the god of death." Then Kanae's life makes a sudden development. Money cannot be made by love alone, though love cannot be bought with money. People of today want to have both love and money. This get-happy-story is a must read for the present-day people.

Review:
The thing I love about Josei is that it's so much more easy to read in terms of not gagging from over cheesiness. I guess if you love melodrama then this may not exactly be for you.

What I love about this series is it really addresses some pretty interesting, lesser known issues and I actually found myself learning more about. If you can take anything away from this manga, it's that you learn some important life lessons and I felt more knowledgeable about things (I can't really tell you what they are since it'd kinda spoil it).



I think one of the major setbacks would probably be the long lengthy conversations. Nothing wrong with that really, some stories it's necessary to explain things as the readers may not be familiar with it. The problem mostly lies in the fact that finance and economics aren't exactly interesting topics and it drags on and gets quite boring at times.
I think people with a lower threshold tolerance for mundane topics shouldn't really steer clear of it but skim read those parts, it's a really worthwhile read.

I don't want to say there's nothing unique about the characters since they really do fit into those cliche molds but I think there is a degree of realism in them since they aren't exaggerated extremes of anything, not the archetypal douche-bag or complete doormat.

I wouldn't say the art is bad but it's pretty average or even below average depending on how picky you are with art.

Ohh and don't let the tragedy tag deter you, it doesn't end badly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment