Friday 9 August 2013

Manga Review: Sailor Fuku ni Onegai!


Name: Sailor Fuku ni Onegai!
Author & Artist: Tanaka Mecca
Chapters: 21
Genres: Comedy, Romance, School Life, Shoujo, Supernatural

Plot: When Hina hits a homerun ball and goes to get it back, she realizes she has damaged a shrine with the baseball. When she touches the object inside the shrine, the object is absorbed into her, and she becomes the shrine's god. Now she is protected by the shrine's guard dogs, Shishi and Koma. On her journey she meets other spirits, guardians, and the legendary nine-tailed fox.

Review:
So I've read this manga 2 years ago and re-read it again just recently because I was bored. I basically forgot most of the story line, only having a vague idea of the ending, so it shows this isn't exactly a very memorable manga.

Nonetheless I found it pretty funny, I mean I really like Tanaka Mecca's sense of humour since it's quite befitting for shoujo. If you're looking for happy-go-lucky characters and almost idiotic comedy then you should read her other works like Faster Than a Kiss. Of course there's a few moments that tugs on those heart strings but it didn't leave me in a crying mess.

I think what's saves this manga from being completely cliched is the comedy. Otherwise it'd leave a pretty bland taste in your mouth. The guy is your basic, "If you get too close, I'll hurt you" type whereas the chick is not exactly a Mary Sue but there aren't any distinct characteristics that really make her the main heroine.  Though I like the art, simple and recognizable.

I think it ends on a good note as stories like this tend to overstay it's welcome. It was good to see it end in about 20 chapters and the author wasn't trying to milk their franchise coughVampireKnightcough.

This isn't bad but it isn't great either. It's the kind of thing you read when your bored. It's short and sweet is how I'd sum it up, more or less.

0 comments:

Post a Comment