Tuesday 13 January 2015

How I started reading BL & 4th Birthday

Ok guys, so I don't know if this is much of a milestone since I've been blogging on and off for ages but it's been 4 years since my first blog post. Also today is my birthday so I'm officially 19 now whoooop.

Anyhow I know this blog has been congested with Otome plays and the reason I haven't done a manga review is because I've been reading BL aka yaoi.

SAAAY WHHHUUUUT?


But yes, after years of avoiding it I started reading it a few months ago. I can finally say (without shame) that I am a BL reader now.
So what does this mean for my blog?
BL reviews son, awwww yiiisssss.
No but seriously, I feel like tumblr does a great job at giving lists of recommendations for this genre but somehow it's not great for people who are new to the genre.

My curiosity peaked with people's incessant remarks about Boku no Pico by saying "DON'T WATCH THIS SHOTA GAY SEX RAPE SHIT". Me being the naive child that I am, I decided to watch it and man did that scar me in just so many ways.
Yes cross-dressing ain't a problem for me anymore, nor are shotacons (I feel extremely unconformable still) but adding explicit gay smut in the mix kind of hits you right in the face.

A few months after that whole ordeal, I was bored and decided to give it another shot. My philosophy is to try something twice to make sure you hate it. Kawaii Akuma was what I somehow decided upon. Again, big mistake for someone like me and there was some weird possessive boys making out and which intrigued and made me uncomfortable at the same time.

Fast forward another couple of months I just began searching up Yaoi that was digestible for a noob like me. My whole problem with the genre at large is the rape and dubious consent thing so I stayed away from that. Even though that's a prevailing thing in smut, it seems to be magnified in Yaoi for some reason. After being pretty desensitized and diving headfirst into some hardcore Yaoi, my training allowed me to literally brush it off like it's a normal thing. I'm concerned yet okay with how fast I may acclimate to becoming a future fujioshi but we'll see how that goes.

So look forward to some BL reviews in 2015.



0 comments:

Post a Comment